The New Teacher Project Training and Instruction Manager, Elementary - Nevada Teacher Corps in Nevada
Seeking exceptional educators!
TNTP seeks a full-time Training and Instruction Manager, Elementary for TNTP’s Nevada Teacher Corps, an alternative route to licensure program in Clark County, NV. This position is based in Las Vegas, NV.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
TNTP’s Nevada Teacher Corps (NTC) consists of aspiring teachers who are committed to improving the odds for kids in Nevada by raising student achievement. NTC prepares Fellows to achieve immediate, measurable success with their students in the fall. This is an exciting time for education in Nevada, and the NTC will play an important role in new state-wide reform efforts. This is the third year of operation for the NTC and this summer we intend to work with 70-80 elementary teachers.
What You’ll Do
As a Training and Instruction Manager, you will develop a group of teachers into their most effective selves. Specifically, you will:
- Closely partner with the Virtual Effectiveness Coach and other NTC team members to develop and execute a data-driven and comprehensive coaching strategy
- Develop teachers through direct coaching and training, ensuring that teachers rapidly improve their performance
- Conduct cycles of coaching which include planning for effective instruction, cycles of observation and feedback, and analyzing student learning
- Design responsive coaching sessions for small group teacher professional development
- Identify innovative solutions for improving the overall performance of your caseload of teachers to meet contract goals
- Identify and act on trends in fellow performance by using data to identify trends in teacher performance and potential interventions/strategies for improving individual, group and cohort-wide performance
- Support the planning and smooth execution of monthly professional development seminars for cohort members
- Establish and reinforce a culture of achievement that supports teacher development and student achievement
- Support seasonal PST staff members through some combination of direct management, facilitation of staff learning experiences, and on the ground coaching and support during PST
- Moderate one strand of our fellow-facing online coursework
- Communicate with key stakeholders – fellows, partners, principals, and other Nevada Teacher Corps staff
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect Training and Instruction Managers to:
- Bring deep experience in teacher training. You have designed and led professional development for teachers and know how to move teachers from good to great. You believe in relying on practical, skills-based training strategies early in a teacher’s career, to lay a solid foundation for long-term effectiveness in the classroom.
- Have classroom experience. You have at least two years of elementary teaching experience (preferably in a high-need urban school) and a proven track record of raising student achievement.
- Know great teaching when they see it. Whether you are watching a teacher deliver a lesson, reviewing lesson plans, or looking at student performance data, you can identify where that teacher is effective and what s/he needs to do to improve.
- Develop teachers.You track and analyze teacher data, but it’s what you do with it that really has an impact. You have a knack for, and experience, communicating feedback and coaching in a way that results in immediate improvements in teacher performance.
- Have experience leading adult learning. We’re counting on your strong facilitation skills and ability to expertly lead teacher professional development, in both group and one-on-one settings.
- Get things done.You develop a strategic vision and are able to implement it. Your ability to chart a clear course, juggle many tasks and priorities, and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment will bring clarity to the complex projects you’ll lead. You also have the systems and skills to keep on top of a caseload of 20-30 teachers. You are confident working independently and don’t hesitate to draw on the expertise of others to achieve great things.
- Be comfortable with ambiguity.You are comfortable and confident shifting focus and adapting to new priorities quickly to meet the demands of our ever-evolving work to provide the most effective teachers possible to high need schools.
- Experience and expertise in teaching and/or coaching teachers in elementary (required)
- Experience and expertise in coaching teachers in elementary (preferred)
- Strong familiarity and experience with the Common Core State Standards (required)
- Strong familiarity with Doug Lemov’s Teach Like a Champion techniques (preferred)
- A commitment to constant learning and improvement, in both your own work and the work of others
- Previous experience designing, developing and leading teacher training and development
- Experience with online platforms (preferred)
- Willingness to work non-standard hours
What We Offer
TNTP offers a motivated team of dynamic colleagues, a collegial atmosphere that values professional development and the free exchange of feedback, and the opportunity to influence the direction of a growing, mission-driven organization that is committed to the success of our nation’s children.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Benefits and hiring process: http://tntp.org/join
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people
Type of Vacancy: Full time