SMG Engineering Manager in Reno, Nevada
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an excellent and immediate opening for the Engineering Manager for SMG/Reno-Sparks Convention Center. Responsible for supervising and directing engineers and selected operations staff to maintain the facility's mechanical, electrical systems, and plumbing, perform repairs, and control environmental conditions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned by management.
- Operate, monitor, repair and maintain the facility's environmental controls, emergency power, electrical, HVAC and lighting systems as required for the safe and efficient operation of the facility.
- Analyze contractual commitments, customer specifications, design changes and other data. Develop and implement plans of action and resolve any problems that arise.
- Inspect operating function to evaluate efficiency methods and investigate, analyze and resolve operational and maintenance problems. Develop and implement preventative maintenance program, to include P.M. software program tracking-HVAC systems and equipment, electrical systems and equipment, kitchen systems and equipment, structural systems, facility hardware systems and equipment.
- Assist with the capital budget as related to the facility system upgrades and energy conservation program.
- Determine work procedures, prepare work schedules, and examine work for completeness and quality. Organize scheduling to achieve greatest efficiency while maintaining event deadlines.
- Supervise employees; recommend personnel actions such as promotion, discipline or discharge; and interview, select and train personnel.
- Read and interpret performance charts and control panels to evaluate the efficiency of each system.
- Operate equipment such as light trucks, pallet jacks, forklifts, scrubbing machines or other light power driven equipment.
- May occasionally have to enter areas where fumes, airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals are present.
- Work extended and/or irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays, as needed.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Possess skills and experience in supervising/training personnel, scheduling, time management, and purchasing procedures.
- Demonstrate knowledge in operational procedures, facility capabilities, industry terminology, event-related services, and technical requirements for the types of events anticipated at the facility, in particular, the methods, techniques and procedures to repair and maintain all mechanical, electrical and event-related equipment.
- Understand and guarantee that all laws, building codes, ordinances, policies, procedures, risk management and emergency procedures are followed.
- Possess any licenses, certificates or training required by local, state or national authorities for the operations of the equipment found in the facility in particular a forklift.
- Be licensed and insured to operate a motor vehicle in the United States.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
- Read and comprehend blueprints, drawings, operating and maintenance instructions, and other related materials.
- Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines. Work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, employees, exhibitors, patrons and others encountered in the course of employment.
- Engage in decision-making that is generally governed by procedure and guided by policy. Communicate through verbal, e-mail, or written means to supervisors, managers, and upper management.
- Follow oral and written instructions
- Operate a personal computer using Windows, Word, Excel, Outlook and other standard office equipment. (CAD experience a plus).
- Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge operating a personal computer using Windows, Word, Excel, Outlook and other standard office equipment. (CAD experience a plus).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed by events.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package. Please send a copy of your most recent resume and cover letter which includes salary requirements to:
SMG -- Reno-Sparks Convention Center
4590 S. Virginia St.
Reno, NV 89502
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact (775) 827-7620
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled